Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Words will never describe"

Australia 5:13am
Austria 11:13pm
Spain 11:13pm

Sheena "I don't even know where start"
Hayley "Oh shit, there could be pages"

The past weekend was something special. Something that holds no comparison to anything I have ever done, experienced. New things were tried, new friends were made, new life lessons were learnt.

To everyone involved thank you all so very much, I had the time of my life.

Nothing in the week leading up to the weekend seems important, so there's nothing to share. Friday night was spent awake too excited to sleep. We had planned this weekend for a while and finally "the" weekend had arrived. I had packed the Friday, done my washing and cleaned before the trip.

Saturday the 19th of June

I waited for the family to drive onto the drive way and away to another place before I jumped the fence and walked my way through the orange orchard to Hayley's. We then started the journey across the bridge to the "meeting spot" for Brooke then train station. The bus was next, just our luck we missed the 10:30am so we had to get the next, a much later 2:30pm. The bus ride was a nice looong 2.5 hours. The taxi was then a short 10 minutes. The walk was too funny. Thank you Mr. Taxi driver for dropping us off at the end of some cobblestone road, with only colourful shisha bars and kebab stores ahead. Please explain how we were meant to find our hostel? But have no fear, we found it in the end, thanks to the Oasis arrow signs lighting the path. Then through a ridiculously sized door, with a too high door handle. The reception was occupied by a Swedish guy, he surprisingly knew our town of Palma del Rio, he exclaims, "Those people are proud of their oranges" We had a bit of a giggle over that considering myself and Hayley live amongst an orchard of them. So the keys were given and the room was explored. Empty, at least we didn't have that awkward everyone stops the conversation to stare moment. But while unpacking an Italian man comes though the door, backpacker travelling alone. Not a party animal. We knew from then we would probably be the last ones in, the last ones to arrive home in the late hours of the morning. The room was filled. All 10 beds. But we'd only met the Brazilian, Californian, and Italian. The others left early the next morning, but the places were soon filled. 2 girls from Melbourne and 2 Vietnamese and some random guy.

We then decided on a stroll around Granada, I absolutely love the city. It is amazing, I would love to go back soon, very soon. But I do not think that'll be happening. Not for a while anyway. It was unbelievable. The Alhambra, the Arab district, the Tapas, Granada.

The walk took us into the street for shopping. though nothing was bought. We then decided food was necessary and the shining lights of Burger King were brought forward and the choice was simple, Burger king for dinner.

We had a feast. We then decided to wander back to our room to get ready for the onslaught. We walked in to an empty room, which was good, it meant the bathroom to ourselves. A lovely Californian girl, Lena came through while we were prepping. She was so nice, only 19 and travelling alone. She'd fallen in love with Roe and had hoped to go back there to live, she's fallen in love with a bartender. The sweetest thing ever. We then finished getting ready and decided to start downstairs at the hostel bar with our FREE welcome drink. We made some new friends and I scammed multiple free drinks, then we'd decided to start with a bar crawl. Well I didn't crawl very far because the first bar was my last bar.

The one thing my Spanish dad had told me not to do "Sheena, now make sure you don't mix drinks, because the next morning you'll be ver sick." So being the stupid person I am what's the first thing I do, mix drinks. Well let's just say the Tapas did not stay down too long. I tried so hard to stay conscious I really did. I made myself go on but that just meant out into the street where I passed out..in a corner...on a sewer...


Just ask Hayley or Brooke how much I wanted to go on. I eventually made it into some other bar where I hastily ran out onto the road. The decision was made, and I knew it had to be done. I had to go home. There was no way I was going to survive this. So I slowly made the very sad journey home at a sad 3:30am. I was lost, I even debated whether to crawl into bed with my shoes. I awoke at 5:00am and thought, I bet the girls are at Granada 10 The club just down the road which was supposed to be good. So I hopped off the bed gathered my things and got all the way down the stairs to the door and opened it, I then thought to myself Fuck it. I was much too tired and just went back up to my room and slept till the later hours. So late that I missed breakfast. The girls had returned at 6:00am that morning and that afternoon they gave my a full report on the nights' events.

Sunday the 20th of June

Morning spent asleep, recovering.

Afternoon spent at the Alhambra. Words will never be able to describe.

Oh and I also bought a fanny pack.

After the Alhambra we hopped back onto the tourist bus and through the city. We were famished, so we decided on curry, and got too excited when we discovered a sign stating "Indian restaurant" With an arrow pointing into an alley. The restaurant was never found so instead we went to an Arab restaurant where we actually found an Indian menu, YES, So we had Tandoori chicken, vegetable curry, Andalusian salad and Naan bread. The atmosphere was so tranquil that we stayed within for a while. Just sitting listening. We then decided we better get ready for another night out on the town. But instead of a siesta like we'd planned we went for a night walk up to the top, to St. Nicolas look out. It was amazing, So beautiful.

After we were ready to party, and while getting ready ourselves there was a party happening downstairs. It was the bartender's birthday, a Polish man who was hilarious. He was downing a bottle of tequila while walking around the courtyard, funniest thing I ever seen.

We again started at the hostel bar making alot more friends, we got a little crusade together to hit up a shisha/hookah bar. I was so happy, so content sitting there. I was even started to doze, this could not happen, tonight I had promised myself I was sticking to the hard liquor and NOT mixing. I have learnt my lesson. So I jumped up and said to Brooke let's just go do shots, I need a pick-me-up. So Brooke, Hayley, myself and Herman (Mr. Mexico) went to the Alhambra bar where the owner exclaimed, "SHEEEENA", as I walked in, wow, did I meet this guy!? haha. So we had a few shots and back to the shisha we go. More people had come to join. It was then clubclubclubclubclub time. A shame most of them were not up for it but in the end we conned them all to enter Granada 10, it was the jager bombs that got them hooked. We walked into an empty club. Oh shit, there was just a bunch of people Salsa dancing. It was so nice to watch, but I felt a twinge of jealousy watching the "Salsa queen" glide across the floor. We just stuck to our little couched corner and continued with the drinks. So eventually we got intoxicated enough to make our way onto the dance floor to rave rave rave. We ended up kicking the salsa's off the dance floor and had the floor and music to ourself, the DJ actually changed the music to "Disco" music for us foreigners. So the night eventually came to a close, and we made our way back to the hostel, but not before a quick trip to the KEBAB KING. That was one god almighty kebab, it was so delicious. So we'd made it back about...actually I have no idea what time it was when we got back in, but we did not sleep, no we sat in the lounge for long. I at sometime wandered into the kitchen to find Lena with 2 other guys, they'd arrived that day, and they'd looked familiar. I later discovered where I'd seen them , they were in the Alhambra bar, the bar we'd escaped to, to do some shots. I know I spoke to them for very long, because I did not return to bed till 7:30am, only to awake at 8:30am.

This day was not productive at all. I am sure the children learnt nothing on Monday's English class.

Words can not and will never be able to describe what passed. The weekend was filled with something intangible, unable to grasp. It was magic.

Saturday the 26th of June

Australia 10:38pm
Austria 4:38pm
Spain 4:38pm

A whole week has passed before I was able to write up and publish this post. The memories are fresh, the memories will never be forgotten because they were beautiful ones, though hazy through the liquor they're still there.

Brooke I am going to miss you, but it's ok, just 2 weeks and we shall meet by the beach n Cadiz. Take care. Adios.


No comments:

Post a Comment